Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tales of an Urban Detox: getting over the hump.

Sunday, 23 October
DETOX DAY 7: SUNDAY NOT-SO-FUNDAY?


Ahh, Sunday.  The day of rest.

Often, the day of Recovery.  And Brunch (prosecco).  And Football (beer).  And then, Recovery Again.

I don't think I'll be doing any of those today!  I pop out of bed by 10a (no alarm, thank you very much) after again sleeping deeply through the night.  I do the morning ritual, but today I can't get the thought of coffee out of my head.  I think it's the Fall Sunday morning feeling - I could be making coffee, sipping it slowly it in bed, lazing around and enjoying my apartment - my little (ahem, tiny) slice of NYC heaven.

Instead of coffee, I treat myself to an extra-tasty smoothie today (extra ripe raspberries = heaven) and settle in with some Yogi Green Tea.  Once my body is awake, it's back to work!  I have decided that today will be the Day of Reorganization.  I go to town once again on my apartment, this time pulling things off shelves, moving items to different storage locations, and generally streamlining what was already happening here.  The Detox program seems to have inspired me to align the cleansing that's going on in my body with what's happening in my home environment.

Around 4p I finally yank myself away to make another delicious gluten-free, sugar-free, meat, egg & dairy-free lunch.  And it is actually quite delicious!

still life of a Detox lunch.


With renewed energy I am back into Attack the Apartment mode.  I have been staring at my hideous curtain rods for months, just waiting for the day when I would have the strength to take them down and start over.  It looks like today is going to be that day.  But I need outside reinforcements.  I head over to Home Depot for a few very important "home improvement" pieces (ehm... spackling paste and a putty knife).  I even buy special rubbery "work gloves" for all the home repairs I am going to do - after all, fixing the curtains will be just the beginning.  I'm going to be a regular Bob Vila!

I make my way over to Bed, Bath & Beyond and have just enough time to find... the Perfect Curtain Rods.  The ones I had been searching for all these months but have eluded me until now.  You're coming home with me, Rods.  

I go home and spackle away.  I wear my sexy new work gloves (more for the novelty than for any actual need to wear gloves).  In between spackling and hanging new rods I am preparing salmon.  I literally don't think I've cooked salmon.  Ever.  But I need protein and it's allowed on my detox.  So I'm cooking salmon.

It's close to midnight before I finally sit down to enjoy my meal and an episode of Breaking Bad.  I look around at my fresh, organized, newly-curtained apartment and feel proud.  My salmon is quite delicious (if I do say so myself) and I have enough leftovers for at least two more meals.  

So maybe I didn't get to do all those Sunday Funday activities so often associated with this second half of the weekend.  But I did get a heck of a lot done.  And I have the gloves (and the curtains) to prove it.


Monday, 24 October
DETOX DAY 8: IT'S BEEN A WEEK ALREADY?

My body must really be detoxing, because I am sleeping.  A lot.  But it feels good - like really high-quality, deep sleep - something that often escapes me.  I wake up today and don't want to get out of bed.  But unlike last week, it's not because of some ridiculous "the end is near!" assertion which drove me to a state of disaster.  It's because I feel good.  I am not craving caffeine the way I used to - I look forward to my morning lemon water and feel much better after drinking it than I ever did drinking coffee.  I have (for the moment) decided I may continue to severely limit my coffee consumption (if I have any at all) even after the cleanse is over.

Hinging on yesterday's escapade of organizational bliss, I have furniture coming today!  An adorable bar table/stool set I had been eyeing for weeks - I finally purchased it and can't wait to assemble it.  The delivery guy is a trooper, lugging 100lbs of wood up the stairs and barely breaking a sweat.  I open the box and - you guessed it - grab my work gloves!  I am going to do some work.  So I need to wear my gloves.

Within 5 minutes my hands are all sweaty in the gloves.  Ok, maybe I don't need gloves.  I continue to assemble without the gloves, but keep them close by in case I need them on a moment's notice - one never knows when you are working "around the house." 

There is something satisfying and therapeutic about putting furniture together.  It's like putting a puzzle together, but at the end you have something you can use in your home that will become part of your daily life.  There are a few frustrations along the way (namely a huge split on one of the table legs followed by a call to Bed Bath & Beyond, followed by an exchange of said table leg), but it's worth it in the end.  The piece looks great and fits perfectly where I envisioned it.  

Suddenly I realize most of the day has gotten away from me and I have an hour to eat, shower, and get to Grand Central to take the train to Stamford!  Our Chairman & CEO, Roger Barnett, is speaking tonight with his wife Sloan and I have been invited to a special reception honoring "Shaklee VIPs" who bumped up in rank last month.  What an honor!  But I haven't had lunch and I have no idea if they will have cleanse-friendly food at this event.

Luckily, I have last night's salmon.  I put some in a wrap with quinoa, veggies, & chick peas and munch on it while I plan what I will wear tonight.  Shower, dress, makeup and I'm gone!  The rest of the night is sort of a blur of really happy, healthy, successful, wealthy people who are all helping other people become the same.  By the time our team gets back to the city it is close to midnight.

Quick snack and then bed.  This detox thing isn't so bad.  Less than a week left - I am over the hump!



No comments:

Post a Comment