Friday, October 21, 2011

Tales of an Urban Detox: get down with your detox.



Wednesday, 19 October
DETOX DAY 3: GLUTEN? WHO NEEDS IT?


approximately 2:34am:  I am so damn excited to get the first blog posting up I am just finally winding down for the night.  Just as my eyes are closing, my neighbor decides it is an appropriate moment to throw his own little private dance party, complete with bass beats and stomping feet.  "Why me? Why noooow?  I'm supposed to be on a schedule!" I whine to myself (in my head).  I get up and pop a couple of Gentle Sleep Complex and am in dreamland within 20 minutes.

I allow myself to sleep until 9, knowing I need rest while my body detoxes but still wanting to take full advantage of the day.  I do the lemon water thing, healthy breakfast and supplements, mug of green tea, and by 10 I am leaping out the door to attend to morning appointments.  I have looked at my assignment for today and I know what time it is:

Gluten-free time.

...sigh.

Deep breath.

That's right.  I love bread.  Pasta.  Crackers.  Scones.  Pizza (you may have gathered).  Delicious gluten-y things are a staple of my diet.  Oh yeah, and they taste really good too.  How will I be able to eat enough to stay energized but not eat all the things I'm used to?

I opt to make a midday run to Trader Joe's, hoping that the lines will be manageable enough that I won't want to clock someone in the head with my 3-lb. bag of organic sweet potatoes by the time I'm ready to check out.

Today, I win!  The line is short.

I launch into a new world of "gluten-free-ness" that I have never experienced before.  I start to fill my cart with selections from Jen's handy shopping list, exploring shelves and sections of the store I had never visited.  Of course, I bought some more green tea as well (one must have options).  I get so excited to fill my cart with all these new items that I end up with more groceries than originally intended.  I wobble home with two huge (reusable, of course) bags full of new treats and lug them up the stairs to my apartment.  By the time I finish unpacking everything and putting it away, my traps are killing me from carrying the bags on my shoulders, and I already feel exhausted from the day.  And it's only 2pm.  I wonder for a short moment: "why am I doing this?"

Then I open my fridge.  It is a veritable palette of beautiful fruits and veggies of every shape and color, and seems to be simply bursting with health and vitality!  There is more produce out on the counter, just ripe with deliciousness and begging to be transformed into some sort of delicious recipe.  My kitchen looks better than I've seen it in a long time!  It looks like healthy people live here!

I create a delicious lunch with some of my new items, drink a mug of detox broth, and take my daily supplements: Vitalizer, Nutriferon, & Vivix.  I am already feeling re-energized and ready to teach the three classes I have coming up tonight!

I teach my classes with energy and vigor, feeling newly motivated by the good things I am putting into my body.  I even have a few members that are inspired by my initiative and want to come on board and do the detox program as well!  I come home and create another delicious meal, take my evening supplements, and drift off to dreamland before midnight.

...and no, I didn't dream about bread.  Not yet anyway.


Thursday, 20 October
DETOX DAY 4: NOW YOU'RE REALLY DETOXING.


I simply can't wait to eat breakfast today.  You know why?  I'm going to use my amazing new Cuisinart blender/smoothie maker!  I love new gadgets, and I love them even more when I can use them to do cool things like make a super duper healthy breakfast smoothie.  And do I ever make that smoothie.  And boy is it delicious!

I feel good leaving the apartment, but by mid-morning I am sluggish today.  My midday meal, supplements, and green tea boost my energy back up, but I can feel that the 11 classes I have taught in three days are catching up with me.  It's definitely time for a nap!

There was a time in my life (some people call it college) when I used to survive on naps, but these days I don't generally have the luxury of being able to indulge in an afternoon snooze.  I decide that today I will honor my body and the detox and snuggle into my bed.  It feels amazing - and is apparently much needed as I pass out almost instantly!  I can't remember the last time I slept this hard during a nap.

I jump out of bed to prep for tonight's Shaklee in the City event in Midtown.  I am aware that I am about to enter Round 2 of the Wine In Your Face Challenge, as our Shaklee team offers wine and snacks to the fine folks that attend this monthly event (aren't we classy?).

Ding!  I arrive at AXA Financial and greet my Shaklee colleagues and guests who are attending.  There is wine there.  I am over here.  And you know what?  I'm OK.  The bigger challenge for me may be the gourmet cheese that is just staring at me next to the platter of, big surprise, NOT gluten-free crackers.  I just keep reminding myself of the delicious leftovers I have at home from last night's meal, and make myself content to munch on grapes and drink seltzer.

I mention my fatigue to Jen, and she reminds me that this is a process and my body needs time, rest, and recovery to get rid of all the bad stuff.  She assures me I'll be feeling more energized tomorrow.  And I believe her.  After all, she is Healthy Jenny!

I take heart knowing that my body is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing, and the Cheese and Crackers Challenge didn't get the best of me.


Healthy Jenny & Detoxing Deborah, both on Day 4 and feeling good!

No comments:

Post a Comment