Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tales of an Urban Detox: from inside out to outside in.

Friday, 21 October
DETOX DAY 5: DETOX MY BODY, DETOX MY HOME.


Healthy Jenny was right!  I wake up today before my alarm is set to go off, feeling amazingly refreshed and well-rested.  This is new for me, especially on a Friday!  Friday is sort of my "flex day" - I have no permanent classes scheduled, so I usually use it as a day to run errands, attend appointments, work on my Shaklee business, and even - gasp - take in some time for 'relaxation' (occasionally including recovery from deciding to go out a little harder on Thursday knowing I don't necessarily have to be productive on Friday).

Well, this Friday of rare 'unscheduled time' is not going to waste!  I have decided that if I'm going to cleanse and detox my body from the inside out, it is time to get the crap out of my living environment as well.  I make another yummy breakfast smoothie and sip some jasmine green tea (delicious!) while I map out my game plan for apartment overhaul.

Once I start sorting laundry, it's all over.  I turn into a cleaning machine, running laundry up and down the stairs, thankful for the light weight and portability of my super-concentrated Shaklee Laundry Concentrate.  In between loads I am vacuuming, wiping down countertops, cleaning toilets, and dusting shelves with my toxin-free Get Clean Products.  I'm not putting toxins in my body, so why would I want them in my home?  I even post my old TV on Craigslist and get somebody to take it out of my apartment within three hours.  The place is looking clean, smelling fresh and toxin-free, and I am feeling great.

By the time I stop moving I realize the sun is looking like she wants to set.  I remove myself from the clutches of Cleaning Obsession and decide it is now time for Detox Relaxation.  But wait a second... something's missing.  Suddenly I realize - I'm starving!  Hmm... with which color from my food palette shall I create tonight's meal?  Since I just spent the whole day getting the toxins out of my place and making it more "green," I think I'll go with that! This seems like a great night for some homemade guacamole - totally healthy, delicious, and allowed on the detox.  I run a nice hot tub with Chamomile bubbles while I prep my guac.  I reflect on how this detox has brought me back into my (tiny NYC-sized but still very usable) kitchen.  It's empowering to be back in the habit of prepping my own food, making these choices and knowing exactly what's going into my body!  I also realize that I've already saved a bunch of money - while I may have winced slightly at the bill from Trader Joe's on Wednesday, I haven't spent a cent on outside food (or coffee or alcohol - my two biggest money suckers!) since I did my shopping trip there.  I combo my delicious guac with a brown rice wrap and load it with a beautiful rainbow of veggies; on the side I munch some homemade apple slaw I created the night before.  When I'm done I feel satisfied and ready to relax!

I enjoy my bath and take my time with my nightly routine.  Instead of what might normally be a glass of wine, I drink a hot soothing cup of detox broth as I wind down.  I snuggle into clean sheets and linens by 11:30, feeling relaxed and breathing freely.  I know there is a busy day ahead of me tomorrow, so getting my home in order today has been just what the doctor ordered!


Saturday, 22 October
DETOX DAY 6: MARATHON DAY ON A DETOX?


3 classes.  2 events.  12 hours.  Non-stop movement and energy output.  Probably the longest day I've had since I started the Detox.  Will I have the energy to get through?

I wake up a little extra early today (yep, 7:30am on a Saturday), knowing I will want to have enough time to do the Detox morning ritual and get set for the day ahead.  I enjoy another delicious smoothie, take my supplements, pack my gym bag (complete with Madonna-style headset mic), and head down to teach my first two classes of the day.  This is the first morning that the thought of drinking coffee hasn't even crossed my mind - I don't even realize it until I'm outside Crunch near Think Coffee.  I grab a green tea (more for the ritual than anything else) and head inside.

My first two classes go off without a hitch and I realize I am feeling more energetic than I have on a Saturday morning in a very long time!  I head back uptown to teach my third class and the energy is consistent and ongoing (of course sustained with some thoughtfully packed-ahead energy snacks).  I run home to shower, switch my bag, and prep for the afternoon of Shaklee events ahead.  As I am getting ready to leave, I realize something shocking:

There's been a bottle of Pinot Grigio (my fave!) sitting in my fridge for almost two days and I haven't even thought about it!  It was left after our event on Thursday night and I was given the job of 'holding onto it' and bringing it to share with our guests at the Spa Party tonight.  Well, well, would you look at that?  Booze in the house and I didn't even think to crack it open?!  This Detox must really be doing something to my brain!!

Jen and I give a successful afternoon presentation to some fresh faces interested in learning about Shaklee, then prep for the evening ahead.  Since we are offering chocolate, wine, and other 'non-detox-friendly' treats  to our guests at our evening Spa Party, I run out to grab us some food to get us through the home stretch.  The funny thing is, I'm not even tempted by the other things on the table.  I can't decide if I am just so stubborn that I am determined to get through without breaking the detox, or if my cravings have actually changed.  I would venture to say some combination of the two!

I arrive home tired but with a feeling of accomplishment after an exciting and productive day.  I had a marathon day in the middle of my detox, and I survived to talk about it.  Apparently, I even had enough energy to write this blog.  ;-)

...and with that, to bed I go in preparation for the halfway point.  Day 7, here I come.






No comments:

Post a Comment