Saturday, April 17, 2010

Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dirt: A Letter to the Food Network

This is a real letter I e-mailed to the Food Network in the wee hours of the morning on Saturday, April 17th when I just couldn't take it anymore. I'll post an update if/when I hear back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Food Network:

While I thoroughly enjoy your show, "Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives," I am appalled by the host, Guy Fieri, and his complete lack of regard for any type of sanitation whatsoever. For instance, at this very moment, 12:53 am EST on Saturday April 17th, I am watching a chef who is wearing bright blue sanitation gloves walk Guy through his recipes. For some reason, however, Guy does not take a cue from this chef that perhaps wearing gloves is proper protocol. I watch this show on a regular basis, and Guy never wears gloves yet is always sticking his fingers in the food. Can you honestly say that he is washing his hands each and every time he touches someone else's cooking? I have seen numerous instances on this show of this "host" putting his hands in others' dishes, and even worse, sticking his dirty fingers in his mouth to taste whatever it is he can get his hands on.

I can honestly say I would never eat at any of the establishments that Mr. Fieri frequents on this show, as I am disgusted by the way he puts his hands in their food with no regard to cleanliness or sanitation. The fact that these institutions would allow this to occur without incident merely to promote their business on a nationally televised production is sad. Further, I am nauseated by Mr. Fieri's continued insistence on speaking with his mouth full! Between watching him stick his dirty hands in the food, then into his mouth, then watching that food be macerated by him as he attempts to speak, "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives" is a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Perhaps you should look to the Travel Channel's Adam Richman, who represents the "Everyman" middle America is searching for, without their disgusting sanitation habits (or lack thereof). While I understand Mr. Fieri represents a certain demographic to which you are trying to appeal, I do not appreciate the horrendous representation of restaurant hygiene. How does a person who runs a restaurant of his own not succeed in representing what a proper restauranteur should present in terms of, at bare minimum, basic hygiene requirements? Perhaps instead of using a dirty finger or hand and stealing bites of food from these chefs, he could consider using a clean utensil, i.e. a fork, spoon, chopsticks, and the like.

Please tell Mr. Fieri to stop sticking his dirty fingers in the food, into his mouth, then repeating (a.k.a "double dipping") as he has done so many times on this show. Not once have I seen Giada, Alton, Paula, Tyler, Bobby, Ina, Mario, or even Michael Chiarello stick a dirty hand into their dish in order to taste it. Just because this guy won "The Next Food Network Star," why is he allowed to get away with this abhorrent behavior? He looks like a greedy child who can't wait to get his greasy hands all over everyone else's meal.

Please consider putting a new host in charge of this show, or at the very least, re-training him in the basics of food hygiene.

Thank you,

Deborah Horton
www.deborahhorton.com
www.deborahspeaksthetruth.blogspot.com

22 comments:

  1. Amen Deborah! This "Guy" makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with these sentiments! Even though I enjoy his show this is something that has always driven me crazy and the guy does it in just about every episode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen a forum to discuss Fieri's double dipping. Thank you. The episodes in which he eats hot food and proceeds to let water (and who knows what else) drip from his mouth onto the kitchen floor and counter is too much to take. Wouldn't mind seeing him put on a new shirt and trousers once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If i wanted to stop and eat, but seen the triple d bus outside knowing guy is ****rimming everything in the kitchen... I'd have to keep on driving. They'd stab him in prison for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about him shoveling the food in his face where other people food is prepped? How is this NOT a health department violation? He is so gross!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deborah Horton, you are my hero! Thank you for expressing every disgusting sentiment I have towards Fieri. His nasty fingers need to be smacked away and off DDD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh he makes me sick with that, I mean you don't know where his hands been and he could have the decency to use a fork or spoon to sample the food because other people have to eat that food being prepared!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chef will have on gloves, and he is sticking his fingers in the spices, and licking them! Then to precede to touch the meat! Hello!? This is no chef! Vomit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've hated the way he sticks his pinky finger in the hard working chefs sauces the most

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've hated the way he sticks his pinky finger in the hard working chefs sauces the most

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too enjoy his show but cant stand his sticking his hands in the fod as it is being prepared he is never showed washing his hands and he never puts on gloves. This should be several violations because they are serving the food to customers and he is sticking his hands all in and eating all over the food just NASTY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I are talking about this now while watching the show....ewww

    ReplyDelete
  13. 10000%!!!
    It disgusts me to see Mr. Fieri have no concern for sanitation & safety. I couldn’t eat at his restaurants knowing his regard to his sampling food with his bare, unclean hands. It ain’t cute or cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why is Guy Fieri still on your network? His habit of sticking his dirty fingers into restaurant kitchen food & then putting into his mouth & double dipping into other food in the kitchen ia appalling. This food will then be served to the restaurant's unsuspecting customers. He has no respect for basic hygiene and no respect for other people. Food Network. why do you condone Fieri's disgusting behavior ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amen @ I was looking for a way to ask these exact questions. And is he working his son in these shows to take over after he's finally fired ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fortis is not even his real last name. He is not from Northern California either!
    I'm glad to see that his restaurants are failing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every body...Thank you for your comment because its every thing that I have been thinking through the years of watching his show. I'm a culinarian and went to culinary school. I've been totally discussded watching him touching food and licking his fingers etc. I'm tired of seeing him promoting his son on his show because he too likes sticking his dirty hands in food as well. I don't know why he is still on this show because he is the King of cross contamination. You all have said it for me because I thought that I was the only one discussed by his
    Lack of respect for food thats being prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you everyone for saying what I've been thinking watching his show of how to cross contaminate food on television. I'm sick of Guy trying to promote his Brat and he is more of the same. Please find another host for this show. You can even see the disgust on some of the chefs faces, plus he over talks them when they are adding ingredients to a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Agreed!! It drives me completely crazy to see him put his fat sweaty fingers in the food and the cooks never correct him!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with all comments it is disgusting, the producers should tell him to use utensils for tasting not his fingers if I had a restaurant and they came to film I would say Guy cannot grab a taste with his fingers if not you cannot film.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Agree 100000%. He cannot be a real chef!! No way!! I did that at a restaurant I worked at and chef almost took my hand off with his knife!! And wearing flip flops in the kitchen is a big hell no!!!

    ReplyDelete