Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reality Bites.

At the risk of giving away my age, I will take a moment to reminisce about sitting in my Communications classes in college and discussing the "new age" of reality television. I remember thinking: "What about the Real World New York?" After all, that was the original reality show. In retrospect I realize we truly were talking about a new age of reality television: the era of "The Mook."

In those college days (i.e. Phoebe's days of 'yore'), we discussed "The Mook" as a douche-y, lazy, beer-guzzling, classic fraternity-type guy who draws the ardor and empathy of Middle America. More generally, dictionary.com defines a mook as "a contemptible, incompetent person." Most of us would be hard-pressed to find a reality character who is not at least contemptible OR incompetent; generally they are both of these and then some. Hence, the only way they can succeed in life is playing the role of a "reality" TV star on a completely unrealistic television show.

Let's take for example the latest horrific addition to the reality scene: the quickly hated (I mean loved... I mean hated...) "Jersey Shore." In an era so saturated with reality shows that we no longer remember how NOT to live vicariously through some stranger's TV life, everyone is looking for the next recipe for reality success. The new formula turned out to be an oldie but a goodie:
  1. Throw a bunch of 20-somethings in a house
  2. Make sure they have plenty of access to alcohol
  3. Mix
They will inevitably butt heads, fight, and generally cause drama. For this version, we simply remove any semblance of class, intelligence, and 'politically correct' character variety in exchange for guidos and guidettes. No one is gay, "ethnic," or particularly interesting (no one is from the Jersey Shore either - a fact that apparently only Seaside Heights residents seem to care about).

Well... apparently they became interesting, wherever they were from. From a slow start debut episode with 1.375 million viewers in the 12-34 age range, the "bad car accident syndrome" (as I like to call it) progressed to a season finale with 4.8 million viewers, up 33% from the previous week (http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/22/jersey-shore-first-season-ends-with-series-high-4-8/39816). Even the Reunion show pulled in 4 million viewers.

So what does this say about us? What kind of world do we live in when "GTL" (that's Gym-Tan-Laundry for the less informed) becomes part of daily vernacular? When Mike wants to trademark "The Situation" (his nickname for his abs)? When Snookie's hair clip from circa 1988 becomes popular again?!

In short, I believe it means that we are eternally fascinated... by ourselves. It is a strange, narcissistic need to understand the "me" that is not really "me" but someone else. Who doesn't see a bit of themselves in JWoww's slutty shirts? Or Pauly D's spiky hair? Or Ronnie's inexplicable "one punch" violence?

OK - well I don't see myself in any of those things. But, at the minimum, maybe I harbor a bit of Ronnie's hopeless romantic; or Samantha's sweet bitch. They like to drink. They like to dance.

I may not fist pump the way they do, but I'll be the first to admit it - I, for one, couldn't get enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment